“Power belongs to you, God, and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone according to what they have done.” Psalm 62:12
If you only read this verse and not the whole of Scripture you’d think that what you in this life is your ticket to heaven. It’s just not so.
As discussed earlier this week, after your spirit has been regenerated is when all the “Get to’s” begin. Otherwise the scales for doing good things would be very complex:
- 2 points for reading your Bible
- 2 points for praying
- 1 point for nursing home visit
- 2 points for prison visit
- 3 points for feeding the homeless
- -2 points for telling a fib
- -3 points for dishonoring your father
- -76 points for cheering for the Cowboys or Patriots (kidding
God’s “curve” is Jesus Christ. He grades all we do based on our connection to Him. In other words, are we or aren’t we connected? It’s that simple.
Now, those things we do after we become saved are rewarded. But again, we don’t do them because there will be a reward; we do them because of our connection to Him.
We do have to be reminded of these things because, well, we forget. The important thing to remember, though, is that our salvation does not depend on what we do, but on what He has already done for us.