You will be filled with shame instead of glory. Now it is your turn! Drink and be exposed! The cup from the LORD’s right hand is coming around to you, and disgrace will cover your glory.
The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and your destruction of animals will terrify you. For you have shed man’s blood; you have destroyed lands and cities and everyone in them.
“Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.
Woe to him who says to wood, ‘Come to life!’ Or to lifeless stone, ‘Wake up!’ Can it give guidance? It is covered with gold and silver; there is no breath in it.
But the LORD is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him.” Habakkuk 2:16-20
The Lord continues his response to Habakkuk about how He would deal with Babylon because of her atrocities, and “it ain’t pretty!” He mocks wood and stone in verse 18. Today he could substitute green paper called “money”, and it would have the same effect. Money would give the same answers, which is to say, none at all.
There is nothing hidden from God’s sight (Hebrews 4:13). We know that. We’ve probably memorized the entire verse, but the worries and cares of life crowd us and we forget.
- We forget that when we glance at the sun rising in the morning that Creator God caused it to happen.
- We forget that every amount of injustice caused by others is seen and noted.
- We forget that some of the most miserable and unhappy people in the world are the people who have fame, fortune, and looks in their favor (e.g., Hollywood).
- We forget that God is continually trying to draw us unto Himself.
- And lastly we forget that God will silence those who have opposed Him and mocked Him and spat upon His name.
Today, take a few minutes to be silent before the God of the Universe.