6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
1 Peter 1:6-7
We live in unprecedented period of history. In the West we do not experience the kind of persecution our Brothers and Sisters in distant lands have endured and many are enduring now.
Yes, we have trials and griefs in our own little world. Some persecution is part of that grief, though nothing like our persecuted brethren.
The Bible talks about the genuineness of our faith being being refined as gold is refined in fire.
- Are we acting out our faith in meaningful ways?
- Are we speaking a kind word to those who need it?
- Are we lending a hand before we’re asked?
- Are we at peace by daily events or overwhelmed?
- How about our thought life?
- Is our lack of patience getting the best of us?
There are thousands of ways to express the genuineness of our faith. Often they manifest themselves in the little things we say and do.