24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law. Matthew 7:24-29
The last few verses of chapter 7 is a story often told to children. It teaches a powerful lesson for children and adults alike.
Certainly we considered the question when we first believed, but it applies to us today as well.
We have a foundation, but what now?
- What are we building in our lives?
- Are we content to put in 8 at work, veg in front of the TV or computer at night and do it all over again the next day?
- What are you building into other people’s lives?
- Are you going out of your way to help others when you’re tired and would rather be doing something else?
- Are you making the most of each moment of every day in this short life you have?
These questions I ask are pointed my way first.
We have a solid foundation and reason to build our “houses” to be great and beautiful structures, so what are we waiting for?
We’re not getting any younger.